Friday, February 12, 2010

Texas Lycium and Cyber Security

I attended an event at the Majestic Theater in downtown San Antonio last Friday night with the subject: "Our Growing Lives Online: Safe or Not?" The event was hosted by the Texas Lycium organization and was to debate whether our current laws and technologies adequately protect our data and identities online.

It was an interesting group that was assembled and for those interested in watching the discussion, it will be broadcast in the major markets in Texas on PBS sometime over the next month or so (Feb. 18th @ 8:00 PM on KLRU in Austin). The speakers were a good fit of business, policy, and research. I had the opportunity to speak with one of the panelists, Dr. Nicole Beebe, at another event this past Monday. We both agreed that the Q&A session was far too short and that we would have liked the social engineering aspects of cyber security explored at some level.



My view on cyber security is that it is 20% technology, policies, standards, guidelines, and procedures and the other 80% = making sure everyone is aware of the policies, standards, guidelines, procedures and that everyone knows how to use the security technologies.

As with many things, education is the key.



Bill Morrow, of CSIdentity was an intertaining character that livened up the conversation and Ari Schwartz provided solid government policy and legislation data. Robert Hansen of SecTheory may have seemed a little more BlackHat then he wanted to when trying to prove he had street-cred with all the crackers out there. Dr. Beebe presented excellent comments on data privacy vs usage both from an academic and investigative perspective. No doubt she has (or would love to) track down some of Mr. Hansen's friends...

Overall, I highly recommend watching it or setting it to record on your DVR. I'll be the shining head smack-dab in the middle of the audience.

Michael Mongold


  1. Security, like contingency planning, should start with establishing firm principles and an architecture that makes it easier to make day-to-day decisions that make you secure and keep you secure. You may not need to spend a gazillion dollars if you're thoughtful about what needs protection. My tip is to use VDR while sharing data online.

  2. As prudent strides, frequently check your credit reports for weird exchanges or exchanges you don't review, surprising charges on your bills, bills for items and administrations you don't have, or more awful, sudden refusal of your Visa.

  3. When looking for a c-mount security camera, recollect that they don't accompany a focal point, which makes them both at first more costly and more home camera system

  4. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Home Security

  5. Greatly lightweight and effortlessly hid these glasses can have the camera implanted in most any piece of them. Cassandrah Stevens